My father and our relationship

My father and our relationship (or lack of it)

Last week my father (Arthur Ball) died on  Wednesday the 8th of  June 2016 at  5.05 in the morning at the age of 98. He was born on  29th December 1917 in  Grimsby Town.

I was born in  1951 with a sister Christine born in April   1947. There was another child before Christine called Christopher but he didn't survive. He was never talked about and I know nothing about him. I often wondered if he had survived whether my parents would have had me.

Over the last 18 years since my mother died in  1997 our relationship moved from  bad to worse but I had always hoped to have a good relationship.

Throughout my life he was never able to show me any affection or approval. My whole life was a constant search for his approval but even though many people told me how he would tell them all about my achievements he never ever took the opportunity to tell me if he thought I’d done a good job.

A week has passed since his passing and I am  pulled between going and not going to his funeral. It has been suggested that I go to the funeral home to pay my respect there but even this is a struggle for me at the moment. My concern is that if I don't go I will regret it.

Comments

Popular Posts